17. Describe a competition you would like to take part in


17. Describe a competition you would like to take part in

You should say:

What kind of competition is it?

How do you know about this?

What would you do in this competition?

And Explain why the competition interests you.



Model Answer 1:


Well, there is no doubt that the modern era is full of competition, and for anything, people have to compete with others.
 
In my life, I participated in a couple of competitions while I was in school, and once I got the third position. 

 


What kind of competition is it:

But the competition that I want to win is for a scholarship for higher studies.

 


How do you know about this:

I came to know about this scholarship from one of my friends, whose brother won that competition and went to Australia for his higher education, for which he only had to pay 30% of the college fees, and the rest of the fees were covered by the scholarship.


 

What would you do in this competition:

In this competition, students have to demonstrate their practical and theoretical knowledge of science, and on the basis of that, five winners are chosen. This competition is organised by the government of India to support students efforts towards higher education.


 

Why does the competition interest you:

As I have completed my graduation and now I also want to study abroad, winning a scholarship in this competition would be beneficial for covering my tuition fees for abroad study. For this competition, I have been preparing for 7 months, and next month this exam will be conducted in the city of Chandigarh, where candidates from all over the Punjab and Haryana states will come to attend this exam. Even though I am well prepared for that competition, I am still nervous about the massive competition from the students of the two states.

So, all in all, that is the competition in which I am going to participate next month. 




Model Answer 2:





One of my passions is photography, and I like capturing unique moments and scenes. Today, I want to talk about a contest in which I would love so much to take part—a photography contest.

 


What kind of competition is it:

I'm interested in participating in a national-level photography competition. Photographers from all around the nation are invited to participate in this yearly event to show off their skills and creativity. All of the images are often on display for the public to see and enjoy during the competition, which usually takes place in an extensive exhibition hall.


 

What would you need to do in this competition:

I would have to send in a collection of my finest pictures to enter this contest. There are other categories in the competition, including those for wildlife, street, and landscape photography. I would need to select the category that best matches my photos and submit my entries before the cutoff time as a participant. The images must be of excellent quality and fit the competition's rules.


 

What would you do in this competition:

My passion has always been photography, and taking part in this competition would allow me to show off my abilities and originality to a larger audience. It would also be a wonderful chance for me to see and learn from other photographers. Winning this contest would be an enormous achievement for me and would make me well known in the photographic world.


 

Why does the competition interest you:

I feel that participating in this photography contest will provide me with the opportunity to push myself and advance my photographic abilities. I believe that taking part in this competition would encourage me to think creatively and try out new approaches. In addition, the judges' remarks would enable me to identify my strong points and areas for development.

So, all in all, that is the competition in which I am going to participate next month.




Follow-up Questions

 

Here are some examples of follow-up questions that the examiner can ask you during your speaking part 3 related to the cue card: "Describe a competition you would like to take part in."


 

1. What kinds of people are competitive?

I believe that everyone has a competitive nature and enjoys comparing themselves to others. However, other people are more confident and like to compete more frequently. Some people are pushed into contests by their parents or teachers, even though they are unsure. Many people lose their competitive spirit because they are afraid of losing. Many people don't fully appreciate their potential until they compete.


 

2. What kinds of activities or competitions do people like to take part in?

People enjoy competing in a variety of events, including singing, dancing, art, athletics, and quizzes. The interests of the people actually matter. For instance, those who are interested in physical fitness often compete in marathons, weightlifting, or other sports.

 


3. What kinds of competitions are popular in your hometown?

Acting is a great way for kids to learn. It boosts confidence first. They engage with individuals of various ages while performing, which helps them develop their social skills. Additionally, it enhances their public speaking abilities, which are crucial in the adult world. They learn patience and discipline through acting as well. Since children must memorize lines, doing so helps to improve their memory.


 

4. Why do you think there are many competition programs on TV today? 

First off, viewers enjoy watching competitive shows, and the majority of these programs have extremely high TRP ratings. Second, because producers may now earn money through texting and phone calls in addition to advertising, these shows are less expensive to create and more profitable. They have higher success rates and don't require as much scripting or planning as other shows.


 

5. How can you reduce stress in this competitive environment?

In the present day, stress affects every aspect of our lives, and in order to lessen stress, we need to change our priorities. To begin with, we ought to stay away from unnecessary competition with others and put our major attention on improving ourselves.


 

6. What professions or fields of labor shouldn't be competitive?

Because they involve saving people's lives, I think professions that are incredibly vital, like those of a doctor or medical professional, shouldn't be competitive. Any competition under such circumstances might put someone's life in danger.

 

  

Post a Comment

0 Comments