20. Describe a time when you were late



20
. Describe a time when you were late

You should say:

When it was?

Why you were late?

And Explain how you feel about being late.




Model Answer 1:


Being punctual, I am hardly late for anything, and I always follow my daily routine, but sometimes, due to some uncertainties, I am late.

But here, I would like to talk about a time when I was late.

 


When it was:

I vividly remember when I was in 10th grade, so there was my pre-board exam in mathematics.

 


Why were you late:

Before examination day, there was a wedding of my cousin, so my parents went there, and nobody was at home except me. As I was because of my exam. So, on that day, I was staying up late at night for preparation of my exam, as I had not done a good job. I slept until around 1 o'clock. Therefore, I get up late in the morning, and I got late for my exam. I do all the activities in a hurry and skip my meal as well. Even. I went to school that day on my bicycle.

 


How you felt:

After reaching school, my teachers did not allow me to sit in the examination class as I was late by around 20 minutes. I asked my teacher, but she did not allow me. So, at last, I convinced my subject teacher, Mr. Amit, and told him the whole story. Luckily, he agreed and allowed me to sit in the examination hall. But, in the exam, I had missed 2 questions with 5 marks each. I was really sad at that moment. After getting the result, I was very happy, as I had passed the exam with 90%.

After this incident, I never took a chance on being late.

So, all in all, that was a time when I was late.




Model Answer 2:


Everyone has arrived late at a certain point. We all know what it's like to be late, whether it's because of an unplanned circumstance or just because we lose track of time. I want to discuss an instance where I was late here.

 


When it was:

It feels like yesterday in my memory. I had to go to a family event, even though it was a gorgeous summer day. I was far behind schedule. It wasn't until it was too late that I remembered that the gathering was earlier than I had first believed. When I arrived at the party, it had already begun, and I was 40 minutes late.

 


Why were you late:

I had a few excuses for why I was late for the party. I had forgotten that the gathering had started sooner than I believed. Second, I had neglected to check the time since I was so busy with the day. Finally, it took me longer than I had planned to get dressed. I was late and unable to be at the event in time due to a combination of all these issues.

 


How you felt:

I felt ashamed and embarrassed that I had forgotten and kept everyone waiting. I was concerned that I had destroyed the gathering and that everyone would be angry with me. I thought I had failed both everyone and myself.

Being late is not something to be proud of, but based on my own experience, it occurs to everyone occasionally. I learned from this experience how critical it is to set aside time for planning. I also developed a greater capacity for empathy and forgiveness towards myself.

So, all in all, that was a time when I was late.



Follow-up Questions

 

Here are some samples of other questions the examiner could make regarding the cue card during your third speaking section: "Describe a time when you were late."

 


1. Are you ever late for anything? Are you a punctual person?

No, I'm always right on time. I respect time; therefore, unless there are unavoidable and unexpected circumstances, I never arrive late for anything.

 


2. Which excuses do you use when you are late?

In general, I never arrive late for meetings or appointments. However, if I know I'm going to be late because of an unexpected situation, I let the person I'm seeing know in advance. I don't explain.

 


3. Why are people often late for appointments or meetings?

It seems to be a time management issue. People frequently underestimate how long a task will take them before noticing, once they begin, that it will take considerably longer. In addition, a lot of individuals don't think that being a bit late is wrong.

 


4. Do you think people are born with time management skills, or can they be taught?

I believe that we learn how to manage our time through experience. It's something our parents teach us. Children learn to be on time if their parents are serious about it. Additionally, it has a cultural aspect. For instance, Japanese people are known to be quite prompt.

 


5. How would you teach your children time management?

By assisting them in creating a schedule and ensuring that they follow it, parents may teach their children time management skills. Additionally, youngsters may quickly pick up lessons about the value of time and effective time management through stories or films. Parents should provide a positive example for their kids since they are their role models.

 


6. Do old people and young people manage time in a similar way?

No, people of all ages do not manage their time equally. Compared to younger generations, older adults have more life experience and a greater understanding of the value of time management. Youth can be overly impatient or impulsive, and they may fail to understand the need for planning. The way the younger generation handles time is another difference. They utilize technology more frequently, whereas older individuals may still rely on traditional methods like creating a schedule or making a list of responsibilities.

 


7. Why do some people struggle to stick to their plans?

Some people find it challenging to stick to their goals due to other urgent obligations, such as family obligations. Some individuals may be unwilling to carry out their plans.

Post a Comment

0 Comments